Thursday, May 9, 2013

How to make: Kentucky Derby Themed Party Cupcakes

Last Saturday, May 4th was the 139th Kentucky Derby. My husband and I decided to throw a party because we were inspired by our trip to Louisville, Kentucky last October, 2012 for our 6th anniversary road trip.
My husband and I wearing our derby hats, of course.
My mother-in-law's Pecan Pie Bites were a hit!
The Benedictine Cucumber Sandwiches, Paula Dean

We love a good themed party, and it was fun to come up with a menu fit for the occasion. Needing some inspiration, I went to where many ladies my age go, Pinterest. Although I do have to admit, it can be an overwhelming site that can leave you feeling less than crafty yourself. In moderation, it's a great booster for sparking ideas.


I found lots of southern style comfort foods which helped create our spread of: mac n cheese, fried chicken, biscuits, benedictine (cucumber) sandwiches, and pecan pie bites. I did find a couple of pictures of some cupcakes, some covered in large red roses made from icing and others adorned in cheap plastic cowboy hats and horseshoes. The first, a little too fancy for my hands, and the other, a bit too elementary.






My Creation: "Winner's Circle" Chocolate Cupcakes
On my Grandmother's Silver Platter.



Ingredients
Chocolate Cake/Cupcake Mix (not pictured)
White Frosting
Green Sprinkles -grass
Cracklin' Oat Bran Cereal -horseshoes
Red Icing -roses







I'm not going to tell you how to bake cupcakes. Just follow the box, silly. Then let cool before frosting. I let my cupcakes sit overnight under some plastic wrap and decorated a few hours before guests arrived. 

Note: keep cooling cupcakes away from edge of counter so your puppy won't get one. (I had to pull one out of my Chocolate Lab Savannah's mouth)

Made Savy's outfit from a $1 store kid's apron, and iron on numbers
Sprinkle green sprinkles over freshly frosted cupcake before the frosting hardens. This gives it the grass look.
Cupcake Steps
My own /Idea: Carefully cut the edge off of a piece of Cracklin' Oat Bran cereal to make a mini horseshoe.
It takes a few trys to get the hang of it without breaking.
Place the horse shoe in the center of the cupcake and add five red roses using one of the plastic tips that comes with the cupcake icing. Enjoy!
The finished cupcake!




No comments:

Post a Comment