If you're not sure where to start:
- Designate an area in your house to start setting items aside. Clear off a table in your basement or set aside some boxes in a corner so that you have a place to get everything you want to sell together in one spot.
- Get the family involved. Let them know where the space is to put items for sale and a time frame for when you would like to have it: in a few weeks, 2 months, etc.
- Spend a little time in each area of your home pulling items out for the sale. If you're sale is in 2 months you could designate each week leading up to it to focus on a different space.
- Have an incentive to put items in the sale. Let kids keep the money for the items they put in, or set aside the money from the garage sale for spending money on the next family vacation.
- Figure out ahead of time what you will do with items you don't sell. Pick a local charity or place to drop off items immediately after you sale so the items don't find there way back in your home.