Tuesday, September 21, 2010

There's nothing like a phone call

Why is it that we put off calling important people we'd like to keep in touch with? Why is it so hard to just pick up the phone and make a call? I think this is such a strange thing and I know I experience it in both my personal and professional life.

I often find myself looking for other ways to communicate besides using the phone. There's email, direct mail, and online social networks. But what happens when the person you want to communicate with doesn't use the computer, like my grandmother, or you don't have their address, like a friend I've been wanting to write from high school? My friend from high school isn't on Facebook, and that's okay. There are somethings you just can't share or talk about on Facebook or Linked In. Somethings just simply require a phone call or face to face interaction.

My grandmother used to tell me how important keeping in touch with your friends is. She said that as you get older it means so much to have people to talk to and keep you company. I have to admit I don't think I'll ever be the social butterfly she was, but I would like to improve on keeping in touch with people that mean a lot to mean. If that means picking up the silly phone to do it, than that's just what I'm going to have to do. As my grandpa used to say on occasion, "Buck it Up!" (meaning: just do it, or hang in there you're alright, in this case: pick up the phone!)

What an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment