Monday, April 5, 2010

Nothing Like Nature

There is really nothing quite like nature to decrease stress. Sure, nature can present us with challenges every season out of the year: too much snow, not enough rain, too much rain, earthquakes, huricanes, tornados, the list goes on. But when it comes to needing some stress relief it is also one of the best ways to make us slow down and get back to the basics, a timeless spot that we can go to and forget about the current worries.

Taking some time to dream about and plan a garden has recently provided me with some great stress releif. I can't wait to get outside to start digging up the earth and planting my very first vegetable garden of my own! Big, juicy tomatoes here you come!

I can't tell you how happy I was to see the bright yellow daffodils I planted last fall come up this week. How exciting to see the blooms not only because yellow is my favorite color, but it represents something I did. I planned to put them there. I bought the bulbs, dug the holes, covered them with dirt and mulched the area around it. It feels great to have accomplished a little dream I had for myself. It gave me something to look forward to this spring and to help make me happy in one little way. Everytime I pull up our driveway I see them and it makes me smile.

5 ways to access a stress free moment through nature this spring:

* Sit outside and watch a bird or squirrel.
* Take a walk through a park and look for signs of spring.
* Feed the ducks.
* Listen to birds and see if you can identify the type.
* Get your hands dirty and start digging up a garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment