Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Organizing Coupons "a little less dorky"

My last blog was all about cutting coupons and saving money like my mom used to. Today, I thought I'd talk a little about saving time looking for the coupons you've cut by sharing how I like to organize them.

I have a simple plastic expandable file folder with 12 slots. Each slot is labeled for each month of the year. I put my coupons under the month the coupon expires in. That way when the month is done I can simple take all of the coupons out in one handful that I know are expired. Toward the end of the month I can also quickly see what coupons I need to use up before they expire.

(A word on expiration dates) Most grocery stores will take manufacture coupons up to a month after the expiration date. You just have to ask. It can be worth a shot. Most store coupons have a small window of allowance as well.

You can also organize coupons by category. I use to do this in the past. It's helpful if you have a lot of one type. For instance, a bunch for toilet paper, coffee, cleaning products, staples, etc. Organizing them this way makes comparing brand prices and discounts easier to see all at once. It's especially great when you need something you don't buy as often and want the best deal with the coupons you've collected. This way of sorting makes time comparing go quicker.

Any file sorter will do, but choose one with a fun color or pattern that makes carrying it with you to the grocery store a little less dorky. When the people behind you in line see how much you're saving they just might ask you more about it.

My coupon sorter is yellow and has a 1950s vintage looking picture on the front. I've used it so much that the elastic band to close it wore out. I replaced that by sticking a square piece of velcro on the underside of the flap. Works great if not better!

No comments:

Post a Comment