Friday, December 11, 2009

Nice things take time.

My Grandmother always said, "Nice things take time." She'd say it while arranging flowers in a vase, while decorating cookies for Christmas, and while preparing countless recipes for family gatherings. For some reason this saying stuck with me, as it must have for her, for there is so much truth in the matter. If you want something to look or taste nice, it will take time. You can't rush greatness.

I continually hear myself saying this in my head whenever something is taking longer than expected. Being someone who often finds herself deep into a project and liking things done a certain way, this little saying helps to reassure that the time spent will be worth it in the end.

On the flip side, when life is busy and we don't have a lot of time we have to be okay with something that may be a little less "nice" than we would typically prefer. That's okay too.

We can also spend too much time on something that will be just as "nice" as if we were to spend half the amount of time on it. I write this as another saying pops into my head, "Done is better than perfect." On that note, I'll come to an end for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment