Monday, October 26, 2009

Are your Magazines Piling up?

Even if you only subscribe to two magazines, like I do, sometimes finding time to read your magazines and knowing what to do with them when you are done reading them can be a challenge. Here are a few ideas to try.

Find a specific time to read. I have found that I like to read specific things at certain times. I have been reading the morning paper in the morning over breakfast and my personal magazines, "Real Simple" and "Experience Life" before bed.

Put the reading material near where you like to read it. I keep the newspaper on the kitchen table for the day and then move it to a basket nearby that holds a weeks worth of newspapers to be recycled at the end of the week. I place my two magazines on my night stand.

Tare out or mark anything you might want to reference again as you read it. Clip out an article right away or fold a page down in a magazine so you remember to do it when you are done reading that month's issue.

Set a time limit to complete the reading material. For the daily newspaper: 1 day. If I haven't read it at the end of the day I know I won't read it, so it goes in the recycle bin. For magazines: 1-2 months. I keep no more than two months issues on my nightstand of any one magazine. There is usually an overlap of when they send the issue and what month we're actually in. For instance, I received next month's issue a few weeks before the current month ends.

Know one knows if you have to skim an article in order to get through something.
If you don't have time to keep up on reading your magazines try skiming them like you would in the dentist office. And by all means, take a piece of great advice from my mom: "Don't waist your time reading something that you don't want to read." In other words, you don't have to read a magazine from cover to cover. Read the articles you want to read the most first and the rest if you have time. If your magaizines are piling up, skim through them and move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment