Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Balance Between Planning & Spontaneity

I come from a family of planners. I was raised to have goals and reach for them. I don't think that is a bad thing at all. In fact, I owe having that mindset to many of the accomplishments I've made in my life thus far. However, lately I've been realizing that sometimes I must just role with life and see what happens instead of forcing things to change or turn out a certain way I planned. I think this mindset is just as useful, at least where I'm at in my life right now.

I think being a planner and living a bit more spontaneous requires a balance I'm figuring out a little more each day. One thing that is hard is that while I feel my mindset is in transition and changing to suit me better others around me seem to have a hard time understanding my choice. I do think deciding to be a planner or to be more spontaneous is a choice, but I also think it is a fine line between a choice and something I've just fallen into as more of a survival technique. Let's face it, we can't control everything. If we refuse to accept this we are only setting ourselves up for disappointment. Who wants that?

Some people live life pretty much the same everyday. I like routine but also find that my lifestyle often hands me daily things that don't follow much of a pattern. Being a business owner I wear many hats day to day. Having many interests in the performing arts and keeping my eye out for the next great opportunity that I want to spend time on also requires an openness. Looking for our first house to call home and not knowing where that will be requires patience as we ride the ups and downs surrounding that. All of these things make up my life and I'm happy experiencing them all and know I can handle the challenges each one of them asks me to face.

What it comes down to is trusting instincts and going with an impulse that is deep inside. If you don't know what will make you happy yourself I don't recommend just listening to others to tell you what to do with your life to make you happy. I suggest rethinking the whole balance between being a planner and rolling with life. We make choices every minute of our life. We either are responding to something that pops up, like a phone ringing, or take action and may pick up a phone and call someone ourselves. Both have opportunities to be planned or to be spontaneous. Both are needed, but it's important to have a balance between being on the receiving or calling end.

I'm not sure if any of this will make sense to someone else today. I guess this blog has been more of a chance to think things out in writing, which is fine. After all, this is "apparently" what I want to consider today.

No comments:

Post a Comment