Thursday, April 16, 2009

All in the Smile

Can someone be too happy? Yesterday something a customer said to me at my serving job caught me a little off guard. He said, "Are you always this happy? Or is it just us?" At first I was actually a little offended. I tilted my head, took a breath, and replied, "Well, ya know I'm usually a pretty happy person." I smiled, took his empty glass and offered to get him another ice tea.

It made me think about the state of people's overall level of happiness on a day to day basis and what they encounter as they interact with others. I think if you were to poll people nowadays the overall level of happiness might be lower because of all the economic issues our country faces. But compared to other countries shouldn't we have so much to be happy about and thankful for?

His comment is not the first comment I've received about my attitude or chipperness related to my customer service, but probably the most blunt. Anyway, I've decided to take it as a compliment.

Life really is all in our attitude and what we make of it. So, even if we don't always feel happy we can oftentimes change that by simply taking a deep breath, smiling to ourselves and the others passing by. A genuine smile is always appreciated by others and the smile they give back to you just might lift your spirits as well.

Afterall, life really isn't usually as serious as we tend to make it out to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment