Friday, January 30, 2009

Blueberries in my Oatmeal

Routines are something that most people are used to. It's something kids learn at an early age when they have specific times to eat, sleep, play, and bathe.

I for one, have learned that I do best when I have a routine. Lately I've had to change it all the time because my scheduled jobs and such constantly change.

I think it's important even when you don't have a set schedule to find some things that you can keep the same day to day. I've kept my breakfast routine pretty much the same for the past year. I eat basically the same thing and now basically at the same time. For a while the time changed, but I kept the same oatmeal combination the same. It helps to take the guess work out of it and if you choose something healthy for yourself it makes the day start off on the right foot. Having that the same roles into having the breakfast food you buy at the grocery store the same each week and saves you time trying to pick out cereal or think what you want. As someone who needs to keep my blood sugar at a decent level though out the day in order to feel right, I also know about how long I can go on the fuel from my breakfast and can plan my next snack or meal accordingly.

I do however, try to change it up at least once a week. Usually on a Saturday I'll have something different so I don't get bored. Or I'll add a little variation like a different fruit on top instead of the standard blueberries.

My breakfast can be a metaphor for life. Sameness has it's rewards, but sometimes it's important to spice it up or change things in order to stay interested in life and our daily activities. Plus our interests change and one day I may decide to make a permanent change for the better.

I've found that I'm most productive in the morning. This is not the first time I have mentioned this in my blog entries. But it is very helpful when talking about routine. I've noticed that I feel better when I workout in the morning as oppose to at night. Now, if night is the only time I have to do it because of my schedule at the time it's better than not working out at all. But if can I prefer the morning. Again, like my healthy breakfast, it jump starts my day.

Sleep is also another topic I like to talk about. My dad's saying, "you need your rest," is chiming in my head right now. If you can go to bed and get up at the same time it can be very helpful in creating balance in your life. I also find this to be a bit challenging. But, nevertheless I at least try to keep the same amount of hours each night. I sleep about 8-9 hours a night.

I guess the best routine is one that comes fairly naturally, or what your body naturally wants to do. When we mess with that we can get ourselves into trouble. However, we also have to take a step back and examine ourselves and see if our routine truly is the best thing for our bodies. Some things may be bad habits that have crept in and become a routine.

It can be hard to change routines, but I really think that at least for myself I need one. So for today, I'm going to do basically what I did yesterday because I feel pretty good right now. It's off to do a little workout before the day really gets going. I've already had my oatmeal and blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment