Thursday, July 24, 2008

To Be a Lagger, or Not To Be?...That is the Question.

I first learned that I was a "lagger" (one who lags behind) when I sat in my Introduction to Journalism class at the University of Minnesota in 2002/03. I can't remember the exact semester. In terms of knowing the most current technology and ways of communication, I am always behind. I was listening to records of "Peter Paul and Mary," and "The Nylons" (has anybody else even heard of them?), when my friends were listening to cassette tapes. When CDs came out I had just bought my first tape. I think it was "The Bodyguard" soundtrack, or something like that. I hadn't even seen the movie. Oh, and when I started buying CDs is the time everyone started ordering music online. Let's just say I am officially a lagger.

Nevertheless, the first step to changing this label I give myself, if I so choose, which I'm not sure I really care all that much, is to admit it. So here it goes. I AM A LAGGER!

This is all very dramatic because this is the first of what I hope will be many blogs about what I think is apparently important to my life. I'm joining the vast masses of bloggers on this, somewhat hard to comprehend, "world-wide web."

Does anyone else think it's weird that we can now email our grandparents an online-birthday card? I confess I did it for my grandpa's 82nd B-day. It had some clucking chickens that sang Happy Birthday. I thought he would find it entertaining and may give him a much needed chuckle. Looking back, I'm not so sure.

I guess it's all about convenience and immediacy lately. At least it gives me a chance to work on typing and spelling. Although I bet this site has spellcheck. You think they thought of that?

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to try this blogging thing out, even though "apparently" it all started in 1999, (I admit I had to look up "Blog" online before I started this. Wikipedia is pretty helpful.) which leaves me about nine years a lagger behind the first bloggers. I even looked up the word "lagger" in my old-fashion dictionary (I asked for last Christmas) to make sure I had the right word. Good thing I didn't spell it "lager," which was right above it. Although, at 11:15 in the morning I admit, for some odd reason, a nice cold lager sounds oddly refreshing. Well, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment